Steamed Buns Recipe
by HexClad Cookware
150 g plain flour (1 cup + 2 tbsp + 2 tsp)
1/2 tsp instant dry yeast
2 tbsp sugar a pinch salt
80 ml lukewarm milk (1/3 cup)
1 tbsp sesame seed oil
100 g pork mince
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tbsp sake
1/2 tbsp sesame seed oil
1/2 tsp soy sauce a
pinch salt and pepper
1 tbsp salad oil for frying
- Sift flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the flour and place the instant dry yeast and sugar. Pour the lukewarm milk and combine all together.
- Add sesame seed oil and salt into the bowl and knead with your hand.
- When all the ingredients have combined well, form a ball and wrap it with cling wrap. Let it rise for about 1 hour or the ball size doubles. *4
- While the dough is resting, make the filling.
- Place all ingredients for filling in a mixing bowl and combine and knead until the mixture becomes sticky.
- Divide the mixture into 6 even portions and shape into round mince patties. Set them aside.
- When the dough has doubled in size, Place it on the floured board and cut it into 6 equal size.
- Shape each dough to a round circle. Squash each with your palm. Pinch the edge of the dough with your finger tips and put another hand on a rolling pin. Roll the rolling pin to the centre of the dough, press and pull the rolling pin to your front and rotate the dough 30 degrees. Repeat this process till the dough roll outs to 4 inch (10cm) in diameter.
- Place the rolled dough on your palm, and put the mince pattie on top of it.
- Grab a point on the edge of the dough and put the thumb on the point as a pivot point, draw and make pleats with the index finger by moving the dough in a clockwise direction. Close the opening with the thumb and index finger tightly at the end. Repeat the process for 5 other doughs.
- Place each buns onto a parchment paper.
- Place 2-3 buns 0.8-1.2 inch (2-3cm) apart into a bamboo steamer lined with muslin cloth.
- Put lid on and steam the buns on a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and serve.