Copycat Cracker Barrel Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
by HexClad Cookware
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 ribs of celery, broken in half
- 1/2 medium onion (keep it as a chunk of onion)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, each breast cut in half
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, add broth, celery, onion, and chicken breasts.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for about 15 minutes, until the chicken breast is cooked through. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the dumplings.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk just until combined into a shaggy dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into strips or squares about 1 to 2 inches in size.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it to a cutting board. Remove the onion chunk and celery pieces and discard.
- Add the dough strips to the simmering broth and simmer for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, allowing the dumplings to cook and the broth to thicken to a gravy-like consistency.
- While the dumplings are simmering, shred or chop chicken and return to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then serve warm.